Cassie Donlen, lampworking, beads, jewelry, lampwork beads, glass, hoypoloi, glass beadle, glassbeadle


Welcome to my News page. This is my little place to share life....a journal of sorts...dedicated to ramblings, observations, discoveries and cool new things. Find past postings in the Archive link above.

Site Map
© Copyright 2002-2009, Cassie Donlen,
All Rights Reserved

This is the November 2009 Archive Page

December 5th: It has been a busy fun few days. Parties, soccer game, the boys had a sleep over, Mexican restaurant 2 nights in a row (yum!), got our live Christmas Tree tonight, sold a few things on Criagis List, Hair Cut for one of the boys, scored a great sale at the local toy store for my brother, and a Harry Potter Weekend on ABC Family! I even took a nap today. Can't tell you the last time I did that. How did I cram all of that in from Friday night till Saturday night? I guess it was really easy when I have a hubby that did a lot of it! I took the nap in his honor! I wonder what tomorrow will bring. I'm guessing decorating the tree and that is all I have on the schedule. I'm sure the day will get eaten up with little things here and there.

A good old college friend made a custom request. She wanted a necklace made out of Guinness Beer Bottle caps. It's her hubby's favorite beer. I had to ask if it was for her or him. I totally cracked up when she said it was for her but it would be like wearing and I quote "a sexy nightie" for her hubby! So here it is. The pics don't do it justice. She sent me a handful of caps. So I domed one of them and I completely flattened a second one. Then I glued the domed one onto the flattened one, punched a hole in the rim and added a few lampwork beads. It turned out really cool if I do say so myself. Gusiness has really nice quality caps that have this wonderful silver sheen around the rim. It really makes the pendant pop. Budweiser could learn a few tricks as their beer caps are a really dull boring grey around the rim. Never in my life did I think I would be evaluating the quality of beer caps. Strange.

Nov. 30th: I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. I took the 5 days off while the kids were off school. Mom and I did the Black Friday shopping but hit a new record for me. Toys R Us opened at midnight on Thanksgiving day. Mom talked me into going with her which means that you don't really get much sleep if you want to get to the 4 a.m. sales. She ended up getting there at 11:15p.m. and I got there about 10 min later. The line already had hundreds of people in front of us to get in. It was packed. More than I've ever seen it first thing when they opened. We got in, quickly found what we wanted and then waited in line for over 2 hours.

By this time it was 2:25 a.m. and no way were we going to go home for 1 hour and just get tired. So we headed over to Steak and Shake for a bite to eat. We tried to order breakfast but was told they weren't serving breakfast till 4 a.m.! Go figure. Then we were out the door and hitting all the other stores. I think we finished up about 9 a.m. I love my sleep and I don't think I've ever stayed up the entire night. If I did, I was so sleep deprived that I don't remember!

We had so much fun though and giggled and laughed the whole time. There were fun people in line with us and it made it very entertaining. I think we do it more for the tradition and memories it creates vs. the actual deals.

It's back to work, and back to the gym after all the food I ate! I just listed a small black and white bead set over on Etsy.

Nov. 25th: Happy Thanksgiving everyone. This is my favorite time of the year. Then I'm ready to be done with cold weather come Jan. and give me back the pool and the lazy river!

So anyone else going out on the Black Friday shopping day? Of course, as usual... I will be one of the crazy ones getting up way before dawn to go shopping with my mom and sister in law and maybe my brother. He isn't sure yet! It is a tradition that just can't be broken!

The kids are off school starting today which means I got a relaxing lazy morning! I just listed a few modge podge bead stuff on Etsy. I have a few more bead sets that are small to list but I need to take pics yet. So I'm hoping later today that will happen.

November 19th: YIPPEE!! Hubby is back home after being gone for a week. I am off full time duty. That is a lot of work with 3 kids and no back up. The older they get, the more activities there are and I was running everywhere. I figured last night that I was on vacation! I gave the boys hugs and love and let hubby do all the tucking in and was in bed at 8:45 with my computer and watching TV. It was FAB!!!

Nov. 17th: Okay, I see I have gone back to my old blogging habits. I guess you can judge how busy I feel by what is negleted. My house cleaning and the blog are the first things to get dropped. But I do have some fun news to share which has already started getting attention and I'm behind on this one too! I thought about speaking about it over the summer when it was all agreed upon but April 2010 seemed so far away that it just seemed weird to even say anything.

Anyway... I'm going to be teaching at Bead Fest Wire on April 9-11, 2010 in King of Prussia, PA which is about 30 min outside of Philly I'm told. Now that Caiden is in school and I have no more little tots at home, it is much easier to entertain the idea of traveling to do bead stuff.

I haven't gotten my copy of the new Step By Step Wire magazine yet but it sounds like there is a big spread there with all the class info or you can go to Just go to this link and there is a pdf catalog that you can look at to view every class offered with photos. There in an incredible class line up.

I'm going to be teaching 5 classes with 3 of these covering actual metalsmithing techniques. I know this has become a hot button in jewelry design lately so these will be fun classes. Then I will also have one class that covers fine silver fusing to make the same bracelet that was featured on the cover of Step By Step Wire a year ago. The catalog has pics of all the offerings so go check it out.

Registration for the classes begins on this Thursday, November 19th and then you will be able to see all of the class info and photos without downloading the pdf document. I think the class sizes are limited to 20. The classes will be lots of fun. I will have stations set up for the fusing and metalsmithing so we will up and about moving around and creating. I'm pretty excited about it and just booked my airline ticket yesterday. I really wish I could drive as I'm going to have loads of supplies that I will have to bring but that is just too long of a car ride to do all by myself. Please give me a shout if you are planning on coming or have any questions about the class offerings.

Here are pics and dates of the classes.

Friday 4/9 has two classes. The first is the Whimsical Bezels Metalsmithing class for all levels from 9-4 pm. Then from 5-8 that same day, will be the summer garden bracelet which also covers fine silver fusing and stamping.

Then on Saturday April 10, there will also be two classes. From 9-4 pm will cover the Rockin Bezel Rings. Then from 5-8 will be the Bloomin Flower Rings

Finally on Sunday April 11, there will be one class from 9-4 which covers metalsmithing techniques for all levels to make the stamped silver rings. And if time allows, we might even cover how to solder on a post to add a lampwork bead (but that isn't guaranteed).

Nov. 12th: So I got an itch to play with gemstones a few months ago and have been buying a nice collection. And now I sit here and wonder why the heck I did that because they are all just sitting in a box! I haven't found the time to sit and create with them. Time seems to be a luxuary that I know nothing about these days. It just blows my mind how fast the days fly by. I know I say that all the time but it seems to be so true!

Anyway... here is a pic of the necklace and the earrings. I've mostly been posting my new items on Etsy (find the link on my boutique page) just because it is so much faster and easier.

Anyway.. I did make a necklace and a pair of earrings that turned out so pretty. They are listed on my Etsy shop.

Nov. 8th: A succesful 3 day weekend. That is if it is measured in terms of family fun and not beads. I got almost nothing done in the way of beads but we had an action packed family weekend and I'm pooped!! Can't wait for bed! I have been relaxing on the bed with my computer and just got this bracelet listed in the boutique. I haven't created a new dangle bracelet design in a really really long time. I collected the most wonderful Czech beads at the Bead and Button show in May and have just pulled them out to use. It seems like it is getting harder and harder to find really cool and unique Czech beads anymore and they are getting expensive. I bought a nice selection to use for a new bracelet kit design but couldn't help digging in the bags to design a new bracelet in the mean time!

Nov. 4th: I just can't believe how fast the days are flying by. I feel like I just blink and the day is over. It is just crazy. We have finally started to have some beautiful sunshine days. It didn't even rain on Halloween. I was amazed. I've got a pic of course to post of the kids dressed up but they are still on my camera and I need to upload them. The kids are having a half day on Thursday and then they are off school on Friday again. So this week will not get any less crazy as the days move on.

So do you guys remember me saying back in early August how we brought home a crawdad and tadpole from the creek when we visited my grandmother? They were still alive until last week when the crawdad met an early demise. I went to feed them one night and he was no where to be found in the container. I removed all the big rock s that he likes to hide under and it was like he just disappeared. We were wondering if the cat got him but that just doesn't seem like something it would do. (I know he is a cat and it is in his nature) but none of the rocks had been moved and the crawdad stays under the rocks 99% of the time. So how did the cat get him without moving any rocks? We just had them in a plastic container and I would have thought it was impossible to get out of it. But.... this weekened, Connor found some tiny pieces of pincher and little legs on the floor. I'm guessing the dog found it dead and chompped away on it. He eats anything and everything. So the mystery continues!