Cassie Donlen, lampworking, beads, jewelry, lampwork beads, glass, hoypoloi, glass beadle, glassbeadle


Welcome to my News page. This is my little place to share life....a journal of sorts...dedicated to ramblings, observations, discoveries and cool new things. Find past postings in the Archive link above.

Site Map
© Copyright 2002-2009, Cassie Donlen,
All Rights Reserved

This is the December 2009 Archive Page

Dec. 29th: I can tell the week is going to fly by. The kids were lucky (not!) and we all went to the dentist for check ups yesterday. This afternoon, my parents watched the kids and hubby and I went to go see the movie Avatar in 3D. I didn't really have any expectations except that I heard that is was really good. I had to agree. The movie was great. Kind of a Cowboys vs. Indians theme but if you just sit back and enjoy the film without trying to dive into any underlying themes or messages, then the movie is great and captures your attention the entire time. Which says a lot because it is almost 3 hours long.

With 2009 coming to an end, I thought I would put all the stuff out on Etsy on sale. So everything in the Etsy shop is 25% off till January 4th (which is hubby's birthday!).Find the link on my boutique page.

Dec. 27th: I'm just going through some of the photos on Christmas Day. It was such a fabulous day and we created incredible memories. The kids were so cute and life was great. We spent the morning at our house and then went over to my parents around 1:30 p.m. to celebrate with them and my brother's family. So it ends up being a full day on high of presents and good food.

Mom was a crack up and spent many very early mornings at Toys R Us starting in November to get the popular Zhu Zhu pets and accessories for the 6 grand kids. Keegan and Connor weren't begging for them but since all the kids were getting them, we knew that they would probably want one too. I must admit that they are very very cute. We all had fun playing with them. The slide and the car are my favorite. Although each piece has a sensor and even when the Zhu Zhu gets on the wheel, it will spin for a while and then get off all by itself to move on to something else.

So the house seems cluttered with new toys everywhere. I want to just put them all away somewhere out of sight but that isn't as much fun if the kids don't have their toys in a pile to come back and forth to. I'm thinkin that tomorrow I'm going to work on taking the tree down. Can't wait! And lucky us, me and all 3 boys have dentist check up appointments tomorrow afternoon. Right now that doesn't sound like much fun!

December 26th: Hope everyone had a happy holiday! Christmas is always hectic around here. We are still trying to dig our way out from under all the packaging and debris that goes along with toys for three boys. This year just flew by, I can't believe its almost New Year's Day. We had a great time with Dudley the Christmas Elf again this year. He is our little stuffed elf that comes to visit a week before Christmas and each night comes to life while the boys are sleeping. He plays tricks on the boys and they get a surprise when they wake up. One night he took several dollars and put them in a plastic ziplock bag, then put the bag on the kitchen table, emptied an entire can of whip cream in a pile on top the bag, left some spoons, and a note that the boys needed to eat their way to the treasure. They were grossed out over all that sugar!

One night he left notes all over and the boys had to do a scavanger hunt for prizes. Another night Dudley completely taped and covered the doors of the boy's rooms in Christmas wrapping paper...while they slept. Things like this went on for a week, then on the final night, the night before Christmas Eve day, he went away and left them a each a present.

So now we are just in the aftermath of the chaos. But, I actually did get downstairs this weekend and made some bead sets. Stay tuned!

December 17th: Here it is at 9:30 p.m. and I just ordered my Christmas cards. Nothing like waiting till the last minute! I kept having this grand idea that I was going to get my boys cleaned up and that they would stand quietly with wonderful glee and smiles on their faces while I took the perfect photo of them. Then I had to come to terms with that throught because at times it seems like I am more likely to win the lottery than have that scenerio take place. So I finally dug through my digital pics and found a good one of each kiddo from our beach trips and just made up a card with 3 photos. One spot for each of them where they aren't whining that the other is touching them or shoving them, or saying mean things to them. Yes, my boys have been quite a joy to be around. This seems to be the normal pattern this week and it's exhausting! I keep singing the song Santa Claus is Coming to Town, but they aren't getting the hint.

The kids are all tucked in for the night and I think I'm going to go grab a book and read in bed! What a dream! I'm basically all caught up on orders and have some free time. It feels great. I don't get to say that often so I think I will take full advantage of it and not even take my computer to bed with me to work.

December 16th: Yikes! Looks like I let the ball drop on this page. It seems like all sorts of things have been going on but then when I sit down to write, I'm not sure what all that is.

Monday night was a fun beading event. I taught a private class on how to make the Whimsical Silver Bezels that I will be teaching at Bead Fest Wire. Jean is a beady gal friend that lives very close. This was the first time we got to meet her in person and we had a wonderfully fun night. She is a natural at soldering and we kicked out the 2 bezels from 6-10 p.m. They turned out awesome.

I finished the audio book Under The Dome by Stephen King. It has been ages since I read one of his books and I loved it. It kind of had a weak ending but the entire book was so entertaining that I didn't mind.

Hard to believe that Christmas is almost here. The boys are getting very excited. We had a Christmas Tree scare last week. About 3 a.m. we heard a loud crash. I think I jumped 3 feet out of bed. We think the cat knocked the tree over. Ugh... it was such a mess. Ornaments scattered all over. Some glass ones are broken. The worst part was black/orange rusty water all over the carpet that is supposed to be what the tree drinks. I don't know why we even bother to put water in it because the tree never drinks it. So I had to spend over an hour that night trying to clean the carpet and then a few more applications the next day, and then had to wait 2 days before we put the tree back together because the carpet was all wet and we didn't want to cover it up till it dried. Not a fun experience.

December 7th: Had a sick kiddo at home today but it seems to just be respiratory. Caiden has a small case of it and Connor and I are still germ free. Hubby is getting over his. So... should we take bets to see if Connor and I will still be standing and make it untouched? I'm keeping a positive outlook.

I listed this necklace over on Etsy and on my boutique page. This one is one of my favorites that I've been hoarding. Why do I do that? It just sits in a bucket untouched but sometimes I just like to keep things!

December 6th: Had a nice relaxing day. I don't feel like I did much but we did get the tree decorated. It is always such a pretty sight.

So do you remember this bracelet? I had posted a pic of it a few months ago. Well I finally got around to posting it in the boutique. I had been hoarding it because it is one of my favorites:-)

December 5th: It has been a busy fun few days. Parties, soccer game, the boys had a sleep over, Mexican restaurant 2 nights in a row (yum!), got our live Christmas Tree tonight, sold a few things on Criagis List, Hair Cut for one of the boys, scored a great sale at the local toy store for my brother, and a Harry Potter Weekend on ABC Family! I even took a nap today. Can't tell you the last time I did that. How did I cram all of that in from Friday night till Saturday night? I guess it was really easy when I have a hubby that did a lot of it! I took the nap in his honor! I wonder what tomorrow will bring. I'm guessing decorating the tree and that is all I have on the schedule. I'm sure the day will get eaten up with little things here and there.

A good old college friend made a custom request. She wanted a necklace made out of Guinness Beer Bottle caps. It's her hubby's favorite beer. I had to ask if it was for her or him. I totally cracked up when she said it was for her but it would be like wearing and I quote "a sexy nightie" for her hubby! So here it is. The pics don't do it justice. She sent me a handful of caps. So I domed one of them and I completely flattened a second one. Then I glued the domed one onto the flattened one, punched a hole in the rim and added a few lampwork beads. It turned out really cool if I do say so myself. Gusiness has really nice quality caps that have this wonderful silver sheen around the rim. It really makes the pendant pop. Budweiser could learn a few tricks as their beer caps are a really dull boring grey around the rim. Never in my life did I think I would be evaluating the quality of beer caps. Strange.

Nov. 30th: I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. I took the 5 days off while the kids were off school. Mom and I did the Black Friday shopping but hit a new record for me. Toys R Us opened at midnight on Thanksgiving day. Mom talked me into going with her which means that you don't really get much sleep if you want to get to the 4 a.m. sales. She ended up getting there at 11:15p.m. and I got there about 10 min later. The line already had hundreds of people in front of us to get in. It was packed. More than I've ever seen it first thing when they opened. We got in, quickly found what we wanted and then waited in line for over 2 hours.

By this time it was 2:25 a.m. and no way were we going to go home for 1 hour and just get tired. So we headed over to Steak and Shake for a bite to eat. We tried to order breakfast but was told they weren't serving breakfast till 4 a.m.! Go figure. Then we were out the door and hitting all the other stores. I think we finished up about 9 a.m. I love my sleep and I don't think I've ever stayed up the entire night. If I did, I was so sleep deprived that I don't remember!

We had so much fun though and giggled and laughed the whole time. There were fun people in line with us and it made it very entertaining. I think we do it more for the tradition and memories it creates vs. the actual deals.

It's back to work, and back to the gym after all the food I ate! I just listed a small black and white bead set over on Etsy.